How are qualified commuting expenses determined? Actually, the qualified is determined by IRS Internal Revenue Code Section 132(f) and there are 2 qualified expense categories
- Land transportation, such as buses, trains, cable cars, etc.
- Water transportation, such as ferries, etc.
- Parking garages, parking lots, or parking meter
- Parking fees for parking on or near locations used to commute to work, normally mass transit facilities such as train, bus, or subway stations, etc.
Ineligible expenses include
- Tolls, taxis and traditional ride sharing (Uber, Lyft, etc.) are not qualified.
- Uber Pool Commuter
- Lyft Line
If you're wondering whether an item or service is eligible under these categories, here are a few ways to find out.
You can view a comprehensive list of eligible expenses HERE.
If you still can't determine whether an item is eligible, contact our Member Experience Team using the live chat icon at the bottom right corner of this page and we'll be happy to help!